Monday, October 4, 2010

Moving


Well, I really couldn't think of anything very recent to write about so I decided to write about having to move. Let’s start from the very beginning. The last week of school everything was going great, I had my next two years all planned out in Malaysia and I was extremely happy. I had a go-away/surprise birthday party planned for my best friend 2 days before school ended and I was super excited for summer to start. Three days before school ended I came home and went upstairs to my room. About an hour later I heard my mom come home and she asked me to come downstairs. I went halfway down the stairs and asked what she wanted, but she made me walk all the way down and sit right next to her on the sofa. At that moment I knew something wasn’t right. I heard her say “that going away party is going to be for you too”, but it took me a few seconds to really understand what she was trying to say. As soon as those few seconds were over, the confusion struck – why? What is she talking about? – Then, came the disbelief – no she has to be joking, that’s not possible. – And finally, came the defiance and shock – No! I am not going to move! They can’t make me do this! – But I tried to keep my cool. I asked where they were moving us to and as soon as my mom said Caracas i just couldn’t hold it in anymore. I protested and made completely sure that there wasn’t at least a ten percent chance that we didn’t have to move. She explained that they had already sent the letter and the date was set for the movers to come and pack everything up. I couldn’t take it, so I went up to my room and started talking to my friends. It soon hit me how much I would miss them and how much I would just miss everything so began to cry. I cried for about five minutes, but I convinced myself it would be ok. But after about another five minutes I started cry again and I cried all afternoon and all night. It was just too shocking and sudden, even my friends though I was joking. They were all convinced that it was a big joke and I was just trying to scare them. But as they days passed it became more and more real. The school started sending papers to sign, forms to fill, and packets of information. A lot of my friends left for summer late, so I got to spend some extra time with them, but they gradually left, one, by one, and finally the day for the house to be packed cam, it was well into summer, mid-July. Every day there was something to organize, separate and pack up. And each day the house got more and more filled with boxes, until it was like a maze. The moment I remember the most was sitting at the bottom of the stares staring at the maze of tan boxes and wondering how this could be happening already. It was horrible staring at those boxes and then they began to be emptied out of the house, until all that was left was the wall sized mirror, the unforgettable view and the sadness lingering in the air. I moved into a hotel, that didn’t help me cheer up much either because it was the same hotel I had stayed at when I first got there, the same hotel I met my best friend and the same hotel that I had wanted to move out of so badly and now wanted to just stay in so badly. The last few days I spent as much time as possible with my only friend that was left there. We went to the movies, hung out at the mall, went swimming and just had the most fun we could. And then came the awful day. We said goodbye to everyone we knew and climbed into the taxi, tears in our eyes and luggage in our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment